Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?

  • Log into and click DegreeWorks.
  • Advisors are listed in the top student information block
  • If no advisor is listed, please email

How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

What can my advisor help me with?

  • Add/Drop of course(s)
  • Withdrawing of course(s)
  • Appeal forms and processes
  • Apply for transient credit
  • Plan of study
  • Connection to campus and community resources
  • Referrals to experiential education opportunities

How do I schedule classes?

When do I schedule courses for the upcoming term?

What happens if I can't enroll in a course?

  • Occasionally, students may encounter a registration add error. These errors can be due to several reasons, including the course is at capacity, major restriction, college restriction, linked error, among others. The Student Registration Issues and Errors knowledge base can provide guidance.
  • For Statler College courses that will require an override, students can request an override online.
  • Students wishing to register for more than 20 hours in one semester (or 14 credits in Summer term) must obtain permission from their advisor and the Associate Dean of Academics and Student Performance. Course Overload Requests can be printed and returned to the Student Services Office (MRB 340).
  • Undergraduate students wishing to enroll in a 500-level course for undergraduate credit will need to complete a Request for Credit, as well as meet specific guidelines as explained by an advisor.
  • Senior students that would like to earn Graduate Credit can request permission to do so. A Petition for Graduate Credit will need completed and students will need to meet specific guidelines as explained by an advisor.

Can I take more than 20 hours in a semester?

  • Yes. You must complete the Course Overload Request and obtain approval from your advisor and the Associate Dean of Academics and Student Performance.

How can I find the buildings for my classes?

  • You can visit the Campus Map website for maps of the Downtown, Evansdale, and Health Sciences campuses. To understand the building abbreviations on your schedule of courses, view the WVU Building Key.

How do I declare a minor?

How do I change my major?

  • Students that intend to change majors should talk with both their current advisor, as well as an advisor within the new major of interest. If you are confident in the major change, stop by the Student Services Center (MRB 340) to discuss the process.

How do I take courses in transient (at another institution)?

I have a disability. Where can I go to discuss my concerns?

  • The Office of Accessibility Services is dedicated to enhancing the educational opportunities for students with temporary or permanent disabilities at WVU. To ensure access to University programs, specialists work individually with students to help them achieve academic success.

What are the renewal requirements for my scholarship?

  • All scholarship renewal information is listed by the Office of Student Financial Support and Services website. Students can also visit the WVU Hub (Second floor of Evansdale Crossing) or call 304-293-1988 for more information.

I'm also in the Honors College, what requirements do I need to maintain?

  • Students in the Honors College complete additional scholarly work to graduate with the Honors distinction. More information about those requirements can be found on the Honors College website based on each student's incoming catalog year.

What is Academic Suspension?

How do I calculate my GPA?

Can I take graduate level courses as an undergraduate student?

  • You may take graduate courses as an undergraduate student for graduate credit or for undergraduate credit if you meet the criteria listed below. You must receive prior approval from your advisor, the instructor, and the Associate Dean of Academics and Student Performance. Approval forms are available in MRB 340. Undergraduates may not enroll in a 600 level course.
  • Graduate Credit

    • Student must be within 12 semester hours of graduation.
    • Student must have a cumulative GPA of at lease 3.0.
    • Combined graduate and undergraduate credit must not exceed 18 hours in one semester or 6 hours in a six week summer session.
    • Coursework may not be counted for both undergraduate and graduate credit.

    Undergraduate Credit

    • Student must be classified as either a junior or senior.
    • Student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0

I have already earned a baccalaureate degree; will any of the courses from my first degree provide credit for my second degree?

  • Your advisor can review your transcript and prepare a 2nd Degree Evaluation of Courses outlining the courses for which you will receive WVU credit. Please meet with your advisor in the first semester at WVU to complete the evaluation.

I have been out of school for many years, and I didn't do well at that time. Can I erase those early grades from my record?

  • WVU allows academic forgiveness to some undergraduate students who are not successful in their first attempt at higher education within the West Virginia system.

I will not return to WVU next semester, but I plan to return at a later date. Should I let someone know?

  • WVU offers undergraduate students in good standing the opportunity to request an academic leave of absence. Leave of absence status must be requested before the beginning of the semester for which the leave is desired. Your academic records will remain in active status, and you will retain the right to use certain campus facilities. When you return to WVU, application fees are waived. If you attend any institution of higher education during your leave, an overall average of 2.0 must be obtained on all work attempted in order to be eligible to return. An overall GPA on all work attempted while on leave combined with the WVU GPA is also acceptable.

I'm afraid I'm going to fail a course, should I drop it?

  • First, talk with the instructor of the course you are thinking of dropping. If after talking with your instructor you still wish to drop a course, talk with your academic advisor and a financial aid counselor if you have financial aid. Dropping a class may affect your academic status, scholarships, financial aid, health and auto coverage, and military and veteran benefits. A student is considered a full time student with 12 or more semester credit hours.

I'm having personal problems and can't concentrate on my classes. Where can I go for help?

If I am suspended from the University, how can I be readmitted serving my suspension term?

  • You must submit an Application for Readmission to the Office of Admissions and you must meet with your advisor. He/She will prepare a contract with you.

What are the requirements for graduation with honors?

  • All candidates for a baccalaureate with a GPA of 3.8 or higher graduate summa cum laude. Those with a GPA of less than 3.8, but equal to or above 3.6, graduate magna cum laude. Those with a GPA of less than 3.6, but equal to or above 3.4, graduate cum laude.

What are the requirements to graduate with multiple degrees?

  • To earn two degrees at the same graduation date, you must satisfactorily complete at least 150 credits and meet all the requirements of both degree programs. Any additional degree will require an extra 30 hours of approved credit per degree and completion of all degree requirements.

How do I apply for graduation?

  • The Graduation Application can be completed on-line through your WVU Portal account:

    1. Log into your WVU Portal account:
    2. Click on the STAR Tab
    3. Click on the link "Click here to log into DegreeWorks"
    4. Verify major(s), minor(s), certificate(s), and area of emphasis (if applicable) are correct
    5. Report any discrepancies by sending an email to Statler Student Services
    6. Next to the Graduation Application field, click the “Apply to Graduate” link

    If you are graduating with two degrees (i.e. one degree in Aerospace Engineering and one degree in Mechanical Engineering) you will need to complete the application twice. After you submit the application for your first major, go back and submit the application a second time, for your second major. Graduation applications are only good for one semester.

    Graduation Applications deadlines can be found at:

Where can I find the Academic Calendar?