Skip to main content

Undergraduate FAQs

Can I take graduate level courses as an undergraduate student?

You may take graduate courses as an undergraduate student for graduate credit or for undergraduate credit if you meet the criteria listed below. You must receive prior approval from your advisor, the instructor, and the Associate Dean. Approval forms are available in Room 141 ESB. Undergraduates may not enroll in a 600 level course.

Graduate Credit

  • Student must be within 12 semester hours of graduation.
  • Student must have a cumulative GPA of at lease 3.0.
  • Combined graduate and undergraduate credit must not exceed 18 hours in one semester or 6 hours in a six week summer session.
  • Course undergraduate enrollment cannot exceed 20% of the total class.
  • Coursework may not be counted for both undergraduate and graduate credit.

Undergraduate Credit

  • Student must be classified as either a junior or senior.
  • Student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
  • Course undergraduate enrollment cannot exceed 20% of the total class.

Can I take more than 20 hours in a semester?

Yes. You must fill out the Course Overload Request and obtain approval from your advisor, the Academic Standards Committee member in your department, and the Associate Dean in order to enroll for more than 20 hours.

How can I apply for an academic Minor? What Minors are available?

Students interested in completing a minor formally declares the intent to do so by completing a Minor Request Form. This is available in the Office of Student Services, Room 141 ESB or under forms on this website. For more information and a complete list of Minors, please visit the University Catalog.

How can I calculate my GPA?

Instructions on how to calculate your GPA

How do I change my major?

You should discuss your plans with your present advisor and with faculty in the major area of your interest. When you are satisfied that you want to change your major and you meet the entrance requirements for that major, complete the Transfer Request Form in Room 141. The staff will help you with the process.

I already have a Baccalaureate Degree, will any of the courses I took toward that degree, count toward my current major?

Your advisor will review your transcript and prepare a 2nd Degree Evaluation of Courses outlining the courses for which you will receive WVU credit. Please meet with your advisor in your first semester at WVU to complete the contract.

I completed a Transient Application, but the courses I took at another college do not show on my transcript. Why?

It is your responsibility to contact the college to request a transcript be sent to the WVU Office of Admissions. A Transient Application must have been filed, and you need a G.P.A. of at least 2.0 before any transient work will be accepted at WVU.

I have a disability. Where can I go to discuss my concerns with someone?

The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is dedicated to enhancing the educational opportunities for students with temporary or permanent disabilities at West Virginia University and all of its campuses.To ensure access to University programs, specialists work individually with students to help them achieve academic success.

I have been out of school for many years, and I didn't do very well at that time. Can I erase those early grades from my record?

WVU allows academic forgiveness to some undergraduate students who are not successful in their first attempt at higher education within the West Virginia System.

I want to take classes at another institution during the summer, how do I get the credit transferred to WVU?

Transient students are current WVU students who are interested in taking a class or classes at another institution and applying them to coursework at West Virginia University. Please use the Transient Credit Application Form to take courses at another institution while receiving WVU credit. Student must obtain ALL departmental approval using the Transfer Equivalency Review Request form for courses that are not currently in the Transfer Equivalency Self-Service system.

I will not return to WVU next semester, but I plan to return at a later date. Should I let someone know?

WVU offers undergraduate students in good standing the opportunity to request an academic leave of absence. Leave of absence status must be requested before the beginning of the semester for which the leave is desired. Your academic records will remain in active status, and you will retain the right to use certain campus facilities. When you return to WVU, application fees are waived. If you attend any institution of higher education during your leave, an overall average of 2.0 must be obtained on all work attempted in order to be eligible to return. An overall GPA on all work attempted while on leave combined with the WVU GPA is also acceptable.

I'm afraid I'm going to fail a course, should I drop it?

First, talk with the instructor of the course you are thinking of dropping. If after talking with your instructor you still wish to drop a course, talk with your academic advisor and a financial aid counselor if you have financial aid. Dropping a class may affect your academic status, scholarships, financial aid, health and auto coverage, and military and veteran benefits. A student is considered a full time student with 12 or more semester credit hours.

If you decide to drop the class, use the STAR Web Registration System. Instructions to drop a class carefully

I'm having a difficult semester and my G.P.A. may drop below 2.0. Will I be suspended?

All undergraduate students at WVU are expected to maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher. If you fall below the university's academic standards, you may be placed on academic probation or suspension. Find out more here and what you can do to appeal academic suspension.

I'm having personal problems and can't concentrate on my classes. Where can I go for help?

The Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services offers professional counselors and psychologists that are available free of charge to students. For more information, please visit

If I am suspended from the University, how can I be readmitted after one semester?

You must submit an Application for Readmission to the Office of Admissions and you must meet with your advisor. He/She will prepare a contract with you.

What are the requirements for graduation with honors?

All candidates for a baccalaureate with a GPA of 3.8 or higher graduate summa cum laude. Those with a GPA of less than 3.8, but equal to or above 3.6, graduate magna cum laude. Those with a GPA of less than 3.6, but equal to or above 3.4, graduate cum laude.

What are the requirements to graduate with multiple degrees?

To earn two degrees at the same graduation date, you must satisfactorily complete at least 150 credits and meet all the requirements of both degree programs. Any additional degree will require an extra 30 hours of approved credit per degree and completion of all degree requirements.

What are the requirements to move into a major?

During the second semester, all freshman engineering students are encouraged to choose an engineering major. Admission to a major is contingent on program enrollment capacity, an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.25, and completion of the following courses with a grade of C- or better: ENGR 101, ENGR 102, ENGR 191, CHEM 115, MATH 155, and ENGL 101 will be evaluated for admission to a program. By the end of the fourth semester, students who have not completed the requirements for admission to a program will be transferred out of the college and will not be permitted to enroll in upper-division engineering courses until they have been accepted into a major.

When should I apply for graduation?

During your advising appointment before your final semester, you should discuss your status and review the courses that you need to take in your final semester to assure that you will complete all the requirements for your degree. In your final semester, within the first six weeks of classes, you must complete an application for graduation through your WVU Portal account.