Next Generation STEM Day
NEXT GENERATION STEM DAY
The WVU Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is offering a unique opportunity to a limited number of middle school students. This event is for all U.S. students, grades 6-8, who are exploring STEM fields. There is no previous knowledge of STEM required for this event, just a curiosity about STEM and an eagerness to learn. The event will feature both small group and all conference attendee sections. In the breakout sessions, small groups of students will work with a SWE member to solve a challenge and have an opportunity to ask their SWE mentor about engineering majors at WVU. In the all participant session, students will have an opportunity to hear from at least one professional in the STEM field and ask questions about achieving their future goals. This event is intended to be a fun, interactive, online learning event. Students will be emailed Zoom links for their sessions. Attendees will receive a certificate of completion after the conference and we will even have a few prizes!
Registration is now open for this fully virtual, free event!
Students should register by April 8th, 2021 at the following link
If you have any questions, you can call us at (304) 293-0399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Schedule of Events
12:00-12:15pm: Welcome session- Program Introductions and event details
12:20-12:50 pm: Small Group Challenge- Join in small groups with a SWE mentor to work on team communication skills, interact with a mentor, and solve an exciting challenge
12:50-1:00 pm: 10-minute break
1:00-1:30 pm: Engineering Professional Presentation- Hear from engineering professionals at Toyota and receive insight into what life as an engineer is really like
1:30-2pm: Event Wrap up: Q & A with SWE mentors and raffle prize drawing
- Even for virtual events, ALL student volunteers must review and complete a training about WVU's policy regarding children on campus in WVU programs BOG Governance Rule 1.7 – Rule on Child Protection (Previously BOG Policy 49)
- ALL volunteers must also have a background check on file with WVU (even for virtual events)
- To request a link for training please
use this sheet to request module activation.
- Please email your certificate of completion to Cate Schlobohm.
- A list of Statler faculty, staff, and students who have a Rule 1.7 completion certificate on file with the Office of Outreach and Recruitment