Girls' STEM Day
Saturday, March 2, 2019
About the Day
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) will host a new event for girls around the region!
On Saturday, March 2, 2019. Kindergarten through fifth grade students will have an opportunity to participate in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) related activities sponsored by WVU SWE. This year, the theme is "It's Time for STEM."
This event, formerly known as Girl Scout Day, has been reimagined to be more inclusive of the community as a whole. Scouts are still welcome to join, but this is no longer a scout specific event.
Registration is now open!
Registration costs are $15 per participant, $5 per adult (does not include t-shirt), and $12 for any additional shirts . Registration for participants covers one t-shirt (if registered by February 18), activity costs, continental breakfast and pizza lunch. Adults receive continental breakfast, pizza lunch, and the opportunity to participate in the Parent Education Program by paying for registration.Registration notes:
- We will not accept any special grouping requests. Since stations are tailored to best accommodate each grade level.
- If you have any questions, please email us.
- Please note, all online registrations are non-refundable as we will be using the funds to pay for station materials.
- We will not order extra t-shirts. All shirts MUST be pre-ordered.
- An invoice will be prepared and emailed within 3-5 business days for online payment.
- Parents are welcome to stay for the parent education program, but due to room capacities,
this is a drop off activity. All SWE members will adhere to all Youth on Campus
policies required by WVU.
- No late registrations or walk-ins will be accepted. Once we have a final count, safety procedures are established and cannot be changed.
Tentative Event Schedule
*This schedule is subject to change, but the event will start at 10 a.m. and
end at 2:30 p.m.
- 9:30 -10:00 Registration/Watts Museum/STEM Zone
- 10:00-10:15 Welcome and Dismiss to Separate Stations
- 10:20-11:05 Station 1 (Groups will rotate between stations)
- 11:10-11:55 Station 2
- 12:00 - 12:30 Lunch
- 12:35 - 1:20 Station 3
- 1:25 - 2:10 Station 4
- 2:15 - 2:30 Closing Remarks (complete surveys)
- Please do not arrive before 9 a.m. as registration and event will not be ready.
2019 Parent Education Program
Parents, guardians, and troop leaders are encouraged to participate in the Parent
Program. The program schedule is still being planned, but it will run simultaneously with the event.
This year's Parent Education Program will begin at 10:30 a.m.. We invite the parents to join us after the welcome in G78B.
- 10:30-11:00 What is Engineering?
- 11:00-11:45 Panel Discussion
- 11:45-12:40 Lunch with girls
- 1:00-1:30 Design Process
- 1:30-2:10 Hands-on engineering activity
- 2:10-2:30 Reconnect with participants for closing remarks, surveys
Parents and educators will:
- Learn about engineering careers, college scholarships, WVU admissions, and additional resources
- Network with SWE members as well as other parents and educators
- Ask questions about being a mom or leader of a future engineer
- Complete a hands-on activity and learn best practices for teaching engineering to girls
- The cost to attend this program is free with parent payment, which includes lunch. Sign up by indicating your interest on the registration.
The day will begin and end in the Engineering Sciences Building.
- Detailed directions to the Engineering Sciences Building can be found here.
- GPS Directions use: 1306 Evansdale Drive, Morgantown, WV (If these directions do not bring you all the way to ESB, defer to the detailed directions at the link above.)
- Participants can park in parking lot 40 or 44 without a permit on the day of the event.
- All volunteers must review and complete a training about WVU's policy regarding children on campus in WVU programs BOG Governance Rule 1.7 – Rule on Child Protection (Previously BOG Policy 49)
- To request a link for training please use this sheet to request module activation.
- Please email your certificate of completion to Cate Schlobohm.
- A list of Statler faculty, staff, and students who have a Rule 1.7 completion certificate on file with the Office of Outreach and Recruitment
- On the day of the event, volunteers should arrive between 8:00 to 9 a.m. and report to the ELC.
If you have any questions about Girls' STEM Day, please email our WVU GSD Committee.