WVU DiscoverE Nights
The Statler College's Office of Outreach and recruitment will be hosting five Discover-E Nights, once a month, as part of our mission to make engineering education accessible to K12 students.
WVU Statler Discover-E Nights
Instead of just hearing about the fun STEM-based activity that your child worked on in school, we want parents to be part of the fun, learning process! Discover-E Nights are set up for elementary students and parents to be able to work together in teams to implement the engineering design process to solve age-appropriate problems.
We will host an event each month in the Engineering Sciences Building. Families should plan to attend in pairs of one-parent/guardian and one-student. We will be able to host up to thirty pairs at each monthly event. Each student must be accompanied by an adult.
*Please note, these events do not include a meal. Please eat prior to the beginning of the event as food will not be allowed in the lab spaces.
Schedule of Discover-E Night Events
- 6:00 p.m.- Welcome/Introduction to Engineering Design Process (G39 Engineering Sciences Bldg.)
- 6:15 p.m.- Start Project 1 (G19 ESB/G114 ESB)
- 7:05 p.m.- Project 1 ends
- 7:10 p.m.- Start Project 2 (G19 ESB/G114ESB)
- 8:00 p.m.- Project 2 ends
Event Dates and Activities
January 28, 2020 | 6:00-8:00 p.m. (1st-3rd grade students)
Winter weather welcomes us at the beginning of each year. We will kick-off the spring 2020 Discover-E Nights with two snow-related activities. This month's event will be for students in 1st-3rd grade.
- Avoid an avalanche activity
- Snow tire activity
- Register for January 28, 2020 Discover-E Night for 1st-3rd grade students
February 18, 2020 | 6:00-8:00 p.m. (4th-5th grade students)
Each February, we celebrate Engineers Week. The 2020 theme is Pioneers for Progress. Our February activities will relate to American pioneers and their journey West. This month will be for students in 4th-5th grade.
- Pioneer Covered Wagon Activity
- Navigation Activity
- Register for February 18, 2020 Discover-E Night for 4th and 5th Grade Students
March EVENT IS CANCELED.
- THIS EVENT DATE IS CANCELED DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
April EVENT IS CANCELED.
May 19, 2020 | 6:00-8:00 p.m. (1st-3rd grade students)
Fun fact: It's national egg month! This month at Discover-E night, we will do two projects involving eggs.
- Egg drop activity
- Egg sorter activity
- Register for May 19, 2020 Discover-E Night for 1st-3rd grade students
Inclement Weather Policy
Per our outreach policy, if there is a snow day on the day of the event or if school is released early, our event will be canceled.
Directions and Parking
The events will begin and end in the Engineering Sciences Building.
- Detailed directions to the Engineering Sciences Building can be found here.
- GPS Directions use: 1306 Evansdale Drive, Morgantown, WV (If these directions do not bring you all the way to ESB, defer to the detailed directions at the link above.)
- Participants can park in parking lot 40 or 44 without a permit on the day of the event.
- When you arrive, please go to G39 Engineering Sciences Building (there will be directional signs)
- All volunteers must review and complete a training about WVU's policy regarding children on campus in WVU programs BOG Governance Rule 1.7 – Rule on Child Protection (Previously BOG Policy 49)
- To request a link for training please
use this sheet to request module activation.
- Please email your certificate of completion to Cate Schlobohm.
- A list of Statler faculty, staff, and students who have a Rule 1.7 completion certificate on file with the Office of Outreach and Recruitment
- On the day of the event, volunteers should arrive between 8:00 to 9 a.m. and report to the ELC.
If you have any questions, please email us .