Skip to main content


When students come to the Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, they are accepted as either Engineering Track 1, Engineering Track 2, or Engineering Track 3 majors. Advisors in the Fundamentals of Engineering Program will advise these students until they have met all the prerequisites to enter into their specific engineering discipline.

Transfer students who do not meet the prerequisites to enter into their specific engineering discipline are placed into Engineering and will have a Fundamentals of Engineering advisor as well.

If you have more questions on advisors, forms, and procedures, please contact the Statler College's Office of Student Services in room 141 ESB.

Students can create their own Academic Completion Plans to help guide them to stay on track for graduation in a timely manner. For more information about creating a plan, instructions can be found here.

Finding Your Advisor

Follow these simple steps to find your advisor:

  1. Sign in to
  2. Click the DegreeWorks tab
  3. In the student information block your advisor should be listed

Advising Appointments

There are a variety of ways to contact your advisor for an appointment:

  1. Request an appointment through SSC Campus - Instructions Here
  2. Schedule an appointment through your advisor's Student Success Collaborative campaign emails.
  3. Meet with your advisor during walk-in hours
For your "official" pre-registration advising appointment, your advisor may request that you complete the Academic Pre-Advising Review sheet.


I am thinking about taking classes this summer near my home, what should I do?

  • You will need to complete a Transient Request.
  • You may not substitute credit from another institution for a course in which you received a D, F, or W at WVU.  In this case, the course must be repeated at WVU.
  • The Statler College has guidelines for the approval of transient course work, please see the WVU Catalog for more information.
  • All transient course work must be approved by the Statler College Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.  A completed transient form does not guarantee approval.  Please see the WVU Statler College Policy on transient credit.

I failed my first exam, what should I do now?

  • Talk to the instructor about your standing and see he/she when you need help with the course material.
  • If you are having trouble understanding the material, you should go to the WVU Learning Center for tutoring.
  • Assess the possibility of failing and drop the class if necessary. This would allow you to devote more time to your remaining courses.
  • Consider dropping another class to devote more time to the class you are failing.

I am still unsure of what engineering discipline I want to study, what should I do?

  • Attend the Fundamentals of Engineering Collegiate Engagement - Department Visitations.
  • Visit with professors in the majors that you are considering.

I think I want to change my major, what do I do?

  • You must initiate the paperwork for transfer out by going to see your assigned advisor, ASAP. You will speak with your advisor about your options and then complete the necessary paperwork.
  • You will need to be advised by an advisor in the new major that you have chosen, Fundamentals of Engineering advisors will not advise for other Colleges or Departments.

What is academic suspension?

What is the University's policy on repeating a class at other colleges/universities when a student fails a course at WVU?

What are the requirements to maintain eligibility for the PROMISE scholarship?

What is the maximum number of credit hours I can take each semester?

  • Students will normally register for 17 to 18 credit hours per semester.
  • A student may seek permission to enroll in more than 20 hours if he or she has a good GPA and can present a compelling case justifying the course overload.
  • Talk to your advisor and complete a Course Overload Request Form.
  • The form will require the approval of the advisor, an Academic Standards Committee member, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and the Associate Provost for Academic Programs.

What are the requirements to move into a major?

  • During the second semester, all freshman engineering students are encouraged to choose a major.
  • Only those students who have a overall GPA of at least 2.25 and have successfully completed ENGR 101, ENGR 191, ENGR 102, MATH 154 or MATH 155, CHEM 115, and ENGL 101 (all with a grade earned of C- or better) will be accepted into a program.
  • By the end of the fourth semester, students who have not completed the requirements for admission to a major will be transferred into CLASS and will not be permitted to enroll in upper-division engineering courses until they have been accepted into a major.

I have AP, CLEP, IB, Cambridge International, and/or Military Service Credit, what do I do?

  • Work with your advisor to ensure these credits appear on your transcript - equivalencies can be found at the WVU Admissions website.