BS, Mining and Minerals Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1982
MS, Mining and Minerals Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1985
PhD, Mining and Minerals Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2011
Dr. Craynon joined WVU's Department of Mining Engineering in fall of 2020, after failing at retirement. He previously spent 30 years in the US government, most notably in various mining regulatory positions at the US Department of the Interior and as Senior Mining Engineer at the Export-Import Bank of the US. He also spent 5 years managing a research program and teaching at Virginia Tech. All of his academic degrees are from Virginia Tech. John is a native of Kentucky, spent nearly 37 years in the Washington, DC area, is a die-hard sports nut, and is the proud father of 4 responsible adults and grandfather to 6 fabulous children.
- Craynon, J.R., E.A. Sarver, N.S. Ripepi and M.E. Karmis, 2015 “A GIS-based methodology for identifying sustainability conflict areas in mine design – a case study from a surface coal mine in the USA” International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment doi: 10.180/17480930.2015.1035872.
- Craynon, J.R., E.A. Sarver and M.E. Karmis, 2013 “Incorporating Sustainable Development Principles into Coal Mine Design” International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice 8(3):57-64.
- Craynon, J.R., E.A. Sarver and D.P. Robertson, 2012 “Could a Public Ecology Approach Help Resolve the Mountaintop Mining Controversy?” Resources Policy 38:44-49.
- Craynon, J.R. and M.E. Karmis, 2009 “An Approach to Optimising Coal Mine Design for Sustainable Development” in Sustainable Development Indicators in the Minerals Industry Conference: SDIMI 2009, Publication Series – Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, vol. 6/2009, pp. 109-114. Reid, M.E. and J.R.
- Craynon, 2000 “Information Technology Tools for Estimating Costs of Surface Mining Reclamation” in Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surface Mining and Reclamation, W. Lee Daniels and Steven G. Richardson, eds., pp. 459-466.
- Leadership and Management
- Mining and Sustainable Development
- Mining Health and Safety
- Energy, Raw Materials and Environment
- Law, Regulations, and Mining
- Mining and the Environment
- Professionalism and Engineering Ethics
- Raw materials and modern society
- Mining and the environment
- Energy and environmental footprint
- Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Society of Mining Professors (SOMP)
- Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists (AEG)
- American Society for Mining and Reclamation (ASMR)
- International Mine Water Association (IMWA)