Pedro J. Mago
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida, 2003
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida, 2000.
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Universidad de Oriente, Venezuela, Magna Cum Laude, 1996
As a tenured professor, Mago was the head of the Mechanical Engineering Department at Mississippi State University, the largest department in the Bagley College of Engineering and the third-largest department at the university. He served in that role as well as the PACCAR Chair Professor since 2014. Mago also has served as director of the Micro Cooling, Heating and Power (Micro-CHP) and Bio-Fuel Center; co-director of the Department of Energy Southeast Clean Energy Regional Application Center; and co-director of the Southeastern Center for Industrial Energy Intensity Reduction, all at MSU. His research has been focused on energy systems and is currently concentrated on combined heat and power systems, building energy simulation, and waste heat recovery technologies.
Among his teaching and research awards at MSU, Mago also secured more than $15 million worth of sponsored research resulting in more than 160 publications. As department head, he led his department to a 37 percent increase in research expenditures, a 25 percent and 28 percent increase in the undergraduate and graduate enrollments, respectively, as well as the implementation of several new initiatives to increase the diversity of the faculty and student population.
Awards and Achievements
- 2010, 2011, and 2012 Hearin Faculty Excellence Award at MSU
- 2010 and 2011 StatePride Faculty Award at MSU
- 2013 Bagley College of Engineering Academy of Distinguished Teachers Award
- 2 013 Bagley College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Researcher Award
- Tennessee Valley Authority Professorship in Energy Systems and the Environment from 2010 to 2014
2013 Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
2011 Outstanding Leadership, Service to the Engineering Profession, and Commitment to Enhancing Diversity Award, Bagley College of Engineering, Mississippi State University.
Service and Outreach
- Founding Editor-in-Chief, Energy Reports Journal, Elsevier, 2014-2018
- Associate Editor, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, ASME, 2020-2023 Associate Editor, Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, ASME, 2015-2019
- Editorial Board Member, Energy Reports Journal, Elsevier, 2018-Present
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Energy Research, Wiley & Sons, 2011-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Elsevier, 2012-Present
- Editorial Board Member, Cogent Engineering, 2015-2020.
- Energy Systems
- Thermal System Design and Optimization
- Refrigeration and HVAC
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers
- American Society for Engineering Education