- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV, USA 2013 – 2016
PhD in Mechanical Engineering, emphasis in Materials Science
Major GPA: 4.0/4.0 – Funded through Graduate Teaching Assistantship
- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV, USA 2010 – 2013
MS in Mechanical Engineering, emphasis in Materials Science
Major GPA: 4.0/4.0 – Funded through Army Research Laboratory
- Instituto Jorge Sabato Buenos Aires, Argentina 2005 – 2010
BS in Materials Science Engineering
Major GPA: 7.0/10.0 – Awarded with a full scholarship and stipend for living expenses granted by “Fundacion YPF” for the entire duration of the Bachelor’s degree
RESEARCH, TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV, USA 2010–Present
Adjunct Faculty / Graduate Research Assistant / Graduate Teaching Assistant
* Successful process improvement using materials characterization and testing including: SEM, EDS, TEM, X-ray diffraction, XPS, DSC, TGA, FTIR, optical ellipsometer, mechanical properties testing, magnetic (VSM), ferroelectric, dielectric
* Developed a novel fabrication process for thin-film magnetoelectric sensors from start to finish. By seeding the perovskite phase growth, the sintering temperature was reduced from 750 ℃ to 650 ℃, which drastically reduces the non-desired atomic diffusion between phases. Additionally, up to 38 % particle loading was successfully dispersed without percolation by controlled dispersion and optimum particle size of precursors
* Mastery of the following fabrication techniques was obtained through the development of this process: sol-gel synthesis of dielectric thin films (drying, firing, sintering, adhesion), Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), silicon wafer oxidation, Pt and Ti thin film deposition (PVD sputtering), photolithography, nano-particles fabrication through solvothermal, hydrothermal and thermal decomposition synthesis, wire bonding, soldering of components, etc.
* Published two peer-reviewed papers and a book chapter, in addition to several technical presentations in conferences
* Developed micromechanics (analytical and FEM) models to optimize composition and geometry of magnetoelectric composites accounting for elastic, electric and magnetic fields
* Instructor of 7 graduate and undergraduate college courses. Homework improvement through the application of web-based assignments, reducing grading time and improving student learning through instant feedback. Excellent student evaluations of instructor (4.3 out of 5)
- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV, USA 2014–Present
Faculty co-advisor / President / Treasurer of SAMPE student chapter
* Demonstrated leadership by organizing trips to conferences and field trips to advanced composite manufacturing companies. Increased enrollment by giving presentations and organizing new activities
* Organized Additive Manufacturing competition.
* Experience with; prepreg systems, prepreg layup, autoclave manufacturing.
* Wrote three successful funding proposals used to pay for trips’ expenses
- Technischen Universität Darmstadt Darmstadt, Germany June 2011– August 2011
* Organized collaboration with well-recognized multi-disciplinary research group in piezoelectric materials
* Characterization of magnetoelectric and ferroelectric properties of ceramic composites fabricated at West Virginia University
- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV, USA January 2010 – August 2010
* Investigation of nanostructurated photocatalyst / photoelectrochemical cells for solar energy utilization
* Fabrication and characterization of carbon and TiO2 nanostructures using hydrothermal synthesis
- Centro Atómico Bariloche Bariloche, Argentina February 2009
* Investigation of the phase transition of the layered cobaltite GdBaCoO5+δ for SOFC applications
* Stability characterization using thermo-gravimetric and differential scanning calorimeter
- Centro Atómico Constituyentes Buenos Aires, Argentina February 2008
* Manufacture of functional biomimetic surfaces using replication technique
PUBLICATIONS AND SCIENTIFIC PRESENTATIONS
* T I Muchenik, Modeling of magnetoelectric composite structures. Ph.D. Dissertation - West Virginia University Libraries, 2016.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Magnetoelectric Composites. Multifunctional Composites, Charleston, SC: CreateSpace, 2015.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Predicting the Extrinsic Response of Magnetoelectric Composites. CAMX 2015 Proceedings - Composites and Advanced Materials Expo, 2015.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Prediction of extrinsic charge, voltage, and work-conversion factors for laminated magnetoelectric composites. Smart Materials and Structures, 2015. doi: 10.1088/0964-1726/25/1/015006.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Extrinsic response coefficients for magnetoelectric composites. SAMPE Conference Proceedings, 2015.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Charge voltage and work-conversion formulas for magnetoelectric laminated composites. Smart Materials and Structures, 2014. doi: 10.1088/0964-1726/24/2/025039.
* T I Muchenik and E J Barbero, Micromechanics modeling of magnetoelectric composites. CAMX 2014 Proceedings - Composites and Advanced Materials Expo, 2014.
* T I Muchenik, Improvement of the dielectric breakdown strength and leakage currents of nano-sized CFO PZT particulate composite thin film with high particle loadings by controlled percolation for magnetoelectric applications. MS thesis - West Virginia University Libraries, 2013.
* T I Muchenik, K Sabolsky and E M Sabolsky, Magnetic field nano-derived micro-sensors. SAMPE Conference Proceedings, 2011.
CAMX 2015 Speaker Dallas, TX, USA October 2015
CAMX 2014 Speaker Orlando, FL, USA June 2014
SAMPE 2014 Speaker College Park, MD, USA February 2014
MS&T 2012 Speaker Pittsburgh, PA, USA October 2012
SAMPE 2011 Speaker Long Beach, CA, USA May 2011
Awarded w 2nd place in the master student competition.
Fuel Cell: Science and technology Author Zaragoza, Spain October 2010
SKILLS AND ACTIVITIES
* LANGUAGES: Spanish: Native. English: Fluent
* SOLID FOUNDATION IN COMPUTER APPLICATIONS: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Engineering Software (OriginLab, Ansys, Abaqus, SolidWorks, AutoCAD), and Programming (Latex, Python, Matlab, Mathematica)
* HOBBIES: playing basketball and soccer, fixing mechanical problems with my car, fixing things around the house (handy man), building custom furniture, spending time with my dog outdoors