This Strategic Plan is organized within the framework of the University 2020 Plan and contains action items under each University goal. Each goal is measurable and has accompanying benchmarks and metrics to show where the College is today and what will be achieved by 2020.
The Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources will be recognized internationally for its excellence in education, research, and outreach activities.
The Statler College mission is to prepare students for success in their professional careers; to contribute to the advancement of society through learning, discovery, extension, and service; and to stimulate economic well-being in West Virginia and the world through technical innovation, knowledge creation, and educational excellence.
Engage undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in a challenging academic environment
The Statler College will be recognized for excellence in preparing students for career success in engineering and related professions. The College will provide an exciting environment of educational excellence that fosters use, creation, and transfer of knowledge to solving societal problems in a sustainable and value-added manner. The College will be a leader in incorporating new technology and to adopting appropriate trends in providing high educational value to our students at all levels.
- Recruit, retain, educate, and graduate students that are highly desired by employers.
- Provide an exciting educational environment that promotes student success and learning.
- Provide curricula that weave critical and creative thinking with lifelong learning and career skills.
- Improve retention to graduation of undergraduate and graduate students that exceeds peer institutions.
- Maintain a student body that is rich in domestic and international students of high quality and diversity.
- Increase the number of students pursuing STEM education by building and strengthening engagement with universities, colleges, community and technical colleges, pre-K–12 education system, and industry.
- Expand online and distance learning options to increase educational access.
Excel in research, creative activity, and innovation
The Statler College will be a recognized national leader in doing cutting-edge research and innovation, advancing inter- and multi-disciplinary research, and in promoting energy research. The College strategic plan will support the University goal to achieve Carnegie Classification - Very High Research.
- Increase faculty productivity in research, scholarly activities, and international visibility.
- Increase externally funded competitive research.
- Promote technology transfer and commercialization activities that contribute to economic development.
- Enhance interdisciplinary research.
- Provide the research and administrative infrastructure necessary for doing research.
Foster diversity and an inclusive culture
The Statler College is committed to providing a domestic and internationally diverse culture in its educational and research programs that represents the global workplace in which graduates will work.
- Expand domestic and international and cultural diversity.
- Expand domestic diversity of the student and faculty population.
- Create an inclusive culture within the College.
Advance international activity and global engagement
The Statler College will expand long-standing traditions of international collaboration by revitalizing and strengthening exchange programs with universities abroad, while establishing new international partnerships in education, research, outreach, and economic development.
- Foster an educational environment that equips graduates with valuable global competencies for successful engineering practice in a highly competitive and globalized employment marketplace.
- Promote international educational, research, outreach, and economic partnerships.
- Integrate global concepts into the curriculum and maximize ways for all constituents to benefit from the College's increasingly global presence.
- Define and pursue learning outcomes that prepare our graduates to successfully practice engineering in a global environment.
- Create the infrastructure necessary to promote global engagement and awareness.
Enhance the well-being and the quality of life of the people of West Virginia.
The Statler College will enhance the economic well-being and quality of life of the people of West Virginia by contributing its faculty, staff and student expertise through a 21st century land-grant mission.
- Develop talent in targeted subject areas, including lifelong learning opportunities.
- Develop specialized technical support for targeted industries in the state.
- Engage in community development that informs technology issues and policies.
- Promote policy development and implementation.
- Promote innovation and commercialization.
- Promote leadership development.