Saturday, April 21, 2018
About the Day
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) hosts an annual event for Girl Scouts around the
region, where daisies, brownies, juniors, and cadettes can come together for a
day and learn about math, science, technology and engineering (STEM) with college-age
mentors. After the scouts have completed the day, they will receive a patch
for participating in this event. This day is meant to be a stimulating day
full of activities in order to show how fun STEM-related fields can be!
This Year's Girl Scout Day will be held on Saturday, March 18th , 2017.
**CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE FROM PREVIOUS YEARS, SO PLEASE READ COMPLETELY**
Registration will open on Monday, January 23rd.
Registration for this event is now closed. Invoices will be sent to all who registered.
Registration costs are $15 per girl, $5 per adult (does not include t-shirt), and $12 for any additional shirts . Registration for scouts covers one t-shirt, one patch, activity costs, continental breakfast and pizza lunch. Adults receive continental breakfast, pizza lunch, and the opportunity to participate in the Parent Education Program by paying for registration.Registration notes:
- We will not accept any special grouping requests. Since stations are tailored to best accommodate each age group, girl are group by troop number AND age level. (i.e. a Daisy will not be put with a Junior, even if they are in the same troop.
- If you have any questions, please email us.
- We suggest there is at least one chaperone per age group of girls since the stations are age level specific.
- Please note, all online registrations are non-refundable as we will be using the funds to pay for station materials.
- We will not order extra t-shirts. All shirts MUST be pre-ordered.
- No late registrations or walk-ins will be accepted. Once we have a final count, safety procedures are established and cannot be changed.
Due to safety and risk management procedures within the College, we can no longer offer troop registration. To register for this event,
1.) Troop Leader registers at this link by selecting "Troop Leader": Troop Leader Registration (If coming as a troop)
2.) Each Scout is registered individually at this link by selecting "Scout": Scout Registration
*We will match Troop Leader information with Scouts based on Troop Number.
3.) If a parent is attending with the Scout, they will be prompted to register near the end of the scout's registration.
4.) An invoice will be prepared and emailed within 3-5 business days for online payment.
2017 Parent Education Program
Parents, guardians, and troop leaders are encouraged to participate in the Parent
Program. The program schedule is still being planned, but it will run simultaneously with the event.
This year's Parent Education Program will begin at 11:00 AM. We invite the parents to join us after the girls finish their Station 1 activity.
- 11:00-11:40 What is Engineering?
- 11:50-12:50 Lunch with girls
- 1:00-1:30 Panel Discussion
- 1:30-2:10 Hands-on engineering activity
- 2:10-2:30 Engineering resources
- 2:30-3:00 Meet back up with girls for closing remarks, surveys
Parents and educators will:
- Learn about engineering careers, college scholarships, WVU admissions, and additional resources
- Network with SWE members as well as other parents and educators
- Ask questions about being a mom or leader of a future engineer
- Complete a hands-on activity and learn best practices for teaching engineering to girls
- The cost to attend is this program is free with chaperone payment, which includes lunch. Sign up by indicating your interest in the Girl Scout's registration.
The day will begin and end in the Engineering Sciences Building.
- For detailed directions to the Engineering Sciences Building, Click here.
- GPS Directions use: 395 Evansdale Drive, Morgantown, WV (If these directions do not bring you all the way to ESB, defer to the detailed directions at the link above.)
- Participants can park in parking lot 40 or 44 without a permit on the day of the event.
Tentative Event Schedule
*This schedule is subject to change, but the event will start at 9 a.m. and end at
- 9:00 -9:45 Check-in at the Engineering Sciences Building
- 9:45-10:00 Welcome and Dismiss to Separate Stations
- 10:00-10:50 Station 1
- 11:00-11:40 Station 2
- 11:50 - 12:50 Lunch (pizza, cookies, soda/water)
- 1:00 - 1:40 Station 3
- 1:50 - 2:30 Station 4
- 2:30 - 3:00 Closing Remarks (complete surveys)
- Please do not arrive before 9 a.m. as registration and event will not be ready.
Volunteers must complete the WVU Youth on Campus Protection Training.
On the day of the event, volunteers should arrive between 8:00 to 9 a.m. and report to the ELC.
If you have any questions about Girl Scout Day, please email our WVU GSD Committee.
You can see pictures from the past events on our WVU SWE homepage.