Kreps awarded prestigious scholarship from Department of Defense
A West Virginia University engineering student was awarded the Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation Scholarship from the Department of Defense. SMART Scholarships are offered to undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students who have demonstrated special aptitude for excelling in STEM fields.
Sean Kreps, a computer and electrical engineering major from Clear Spring, Maryland, is only the third student in WVU history to be awarded the SMART Scholarship, which includes full coverage of college tuition, health insurance, a miscellaneous supply allowance of $2,200 and a $25,000 a year stipend.
In addition to the monetary awards, Kreps will participate in a summer internship at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he will be immersed in research and development projects related to automatic weapons systems.
The internship is intended to provide valuable work experience and help the participant become familiar with the organization before becoming a full-time employee. As a contingency of the scholarship, Kreps will complete two years of employment with the DoD at their Philadelphia-based facility after graduating from WVU.
“I am looking forward to the limitless opportunities that this scholarship will afford me as I have always aspired to work in the defense industry,” said Kreps. “My job will allow me to take part in the development, testing and implementation of technologies for military use. Having the chance to develop military technology is somewhat of a dream come true.”
Kreps will travel to the Philadelphia later this month to meet his program mentor and learn more about the upcoming opportunities provided through the SMART Scholarship program.
For more information on news and events in the West Virginia University Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources:
College Relations office: 304-293-4086
Office of the Dean: 304-293-4157
Other College administrative and department offices: Administration
- Jul31 All Day Engineering Challenge Camp (Elementary School) - Engineering Your Dream Job
- Jul311:00 PM - 2:00 PMMS Thesis Defense: Abiodun Olorunfemi
- Aug11:00 PM - 2:00 PMMS Thesis Defense: Xiujuan Chen
- Aug43:30 PM - 5:30 PMPhD Final Defense: Antoine Bedard
- Aug99:00 AM - 10:00 AMMS Thesis Defense: Yujia Lian
- Sep1410:00 AM - 3:00 PMStatler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources Career Fair
News in Brief
- Sapp wins scholarship from the American Industrial Hygiene Association
- Mechanical and aerospace engineering students receive awards from West Virginia Academy of Science
- Givens wins scholarship from the American Society of Highway Engineers
- Statler College wins four Educational Advertising Awards
- WVU alum wins prestigious international dissertation award
- Mining graduate wins scholarship
- Lane Department graduate student presents poster at AACR Conference