FAQs for Graduate Students

What kind of funding opportunities exist to fund my graduate education?

There are many opportunities to help finance your education. You can become a graduate research, service, or teaching assistant, which not only pays a monthly stipend but also provides you with a waiver of University tuition. Almost 87 percent of Statler College graduate students receive an assistantship. As a doctoral student, you can also apply for graduate scholarships and fellowships from the University. You may also qualify for financial aid. Find more information about these opportunities at graduateeducation.wvu.edu/funding-and-cost.

What are the deadlines for application?

The departments have varying deadlines. Please contact the graduate coordinator for your desired program to learn about your specific deadlines.

When can I visit WVU's campus?

Graduate tours are offered through the WVU Visitors Center. The graduate and transfer tours are more condensed campus tours for students coming in with 29+ hours. This tour does not visit a residence hall or dining facility. These tours are offered on Mondays at 1:30 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. Visit this link to register for a tour or to learn more: visit.wvu.edu

As an international student, what TOEFL scores do I need to get into your programs?

The minimum TOEFL scores needed for admission to WVU are:

  • Internet-Based = 79
  • Computer-Based = 213
  • Paper-Based = 550

A score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing Service is also accepted for admission.

What are the Visa requirements?

You can visit the Office of International Students and Scholars webpage for more on the I-20 and Visa process. oiss.wvu.edu/students/prospective-students

How long will it take to earn my graduate degrees?

Most master's programs can be completed in two years. This can vary depending on your research and your own personal time management.

Where is Morgantown, West Virginia?

Morgantown is located in north central West Virginia and is approximately an hour and a half south of Pittsburgh, Pa. It is about three and a half hours from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, Md.

Where should I live if I come to school at WVU?

Typically, graduate students live off-campus. You can use the following link to find housing options: campuslife.wvu.edu/student-advocacy/off-campus-housing

Are there any programs that I can complete online?

The only program that is offered as an online degree is the master's in software engineering. To learn more about that program: lcsee.statler.wvu.edu/grad/msse.