Approved Graduate Faculty for Statler MS and PhD committees
Registered Professional Engineer, State of West Virginia, 1987
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Oregon State University, August 1986
M.S., Chemical Engineering, Oregon State University, August 1979
B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, University of Nottingham, England, June 1977
Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, West Virginia University, August 1994 - Present
Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, West Virginia University, August 1990 - May 1994
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, West Virginia University, August 1986 - May 1990
Substitute Instructor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Oregon State University, Winter 1983 - Spring 1986
Instructor, School of Engineering, Oregon State University, Spring 1985, Fall, 1984, Spring 1983
Process Engineer, Fluor E&C Corporation, Irvine, CA, October 1980 - December 1982
Associate Engineer, M.W. Kellogg Company, Wembley, England, July 1979 - August 1980
Associate Engineer, Brooke-Bond Oxo Ltd., London, England, July 1977 - September 1977
Associate Engineer, Shell Oil Company, Stanlow, England, July 1976 - September 1976
Research Interestsparticle technology
Teaching InterestsI routinely teach the senior year capstone design course, and have taught a variety of the undergraduate courses including heat transfer, separations, material and energy balances, transport phenomena, and numerical methods. I have taught graduate level courses in fluidization technology, mathematical methods and statistical process control.
Special InterestsI am interested in engineering education and I am co-author of the text book "Analysis, Synthesis and Design of Chemical Processes", second edition, by R. Turton, R. C. Bailie, W. B. Whiting and J.A. Shaeiwitz, Prentice-Hall, December 2003.
I have also co-authored two book chapters in the area of coating and pharmaceutical processes:
1. Fluidized Bed Coating and Granulation, by R. Turton, G. I. Tardos and B. J. Ennis, in Powder Technology Handbook, Noyes, published 1998.
2. Cooling Processes and Congealing, in Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology, by R. Turton and X.X. Cheng, Marcel-Dekker, in press, Jan 2002.
I have consulted with several pharmaceutical companies and appeared in Federal Court as an expert witness.
Professional SocietiesAmerican Institute of Chemical Engineers, Member
Sigma Xi, Member
Phi Kappa Phi, Member
American Society of Engineering Education
Registered Professional Engineer, State of West Virginia
- Jul7 All Day Deadline to Apply for Summer Graduation
- Jul9 All Day Engineering Challenge Camp (High School) - Engineering in Action
- Jul9 All Day Engineering Challenge Camp (High School) - Engineering in Sustainability
- Jul1010:00 AM - 12:00 PMPhD Final Defense: Daniel Haynes
- Jul103:00 PM - 4:00 PMTechnical Writing Workshop: Technical Writing for Engineers
- Jul1311:00 AM - 1:00 PMPhD Final Defense: Wentian Zhou
News in Brief
- Sapp wins scholarship from the American Industrial Hygiene Association
- Mechanical and aerospace engineering students receive awards from West Virginia Academy of Science
- Givens wins scholarship from the American Society of Highway Engineers
- Statler College wins four Educational Advertising Awards
- WVU alum wins prestigious international dissertation award
- Mining graduate wins scholarship
- Lane Department graduate student presents poster at AACR Conference